Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Happy Nurses' Week, 2009

National Nurses' Week is being celebrated this week, ending in National Nurses' Day on May 12, 2009, the 189th birthday of Florence Nightingale, recognized as the Founder of Nursing, "The Lady with the Lamp", a pioneering nurse, writer and noted statistician.


The "Nightingale Pledge"
The Nightingale Pledge was composed by Lystra Gretter, an instructor of nursing at the old Harper Hospital in Detroit, Michigan, and was first used by its graduating class in the spring of 1893. It is an adaptation of the Hippocratic Oath taken by physicians.
~~~
I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician, in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.
THE PRACTICAL NURSE'S PLEDGE
Before God and those assembled here, I solemnly pledge:To adhere to the code of ethics of the nursing profession.To cooperate faithfully with the other members of the nursing team and to carry out faithfully and to the best of my abilities the instructions of the physicians or the nurse who may be assigned to supervise my work.I will not do anything evil or malicious and I will not knowingly give any harmful drug or assist in malpractice.I will not reveal any confidential information that may come to my knowledge in the course of my work.And I pledge myself to do all in my power to raise the standards and the prestige of practical nursing.May my life be devoted to service, and to the high ideals of the nursing profession.


At one time many hospitals had nursing schools of their own. Each nursing school, even today, has its own cap and pint to distingush it from other schools. Each cap and pin is a little different. Most nurses do not wear caps anymore, but most do still wear their pins to show their pride in their accomplishments.
I just went on line and found some random pictures of nurses over the years. I thought I would use this one. I'm sure it is from the early 1900's and is a picture of nurses working through a flu epidemic. As much as it changes, nursing stays the same year after year.

This is a picture of early Canadian Nurses. I'm sure it is probably from the 1800's. I can't imagine having to do the job any nurse has to do and wear these confining uniforms. Their work was really cut out for them.


This is a picture of the University of Maryland School of Nursing in Baltimore, Maryland.

Mercy Hospital is a Catholic Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. This is what their nursing pin looks like.


These were graduate nurses from a school in Buffalo, New York. At one time nursing was predominately female, but now more and more males are coming into the profession.

These nurses are changing dressings. It always amazes me the starkness of the rooms and how little they had to work with. Notice how these beds were in one position. From my first day of nursing school our instructors told us, "Bring the bed up to you to save your back." The first nurses must have had constant backaches.

Even Navy Nurses had cumbersome uniforms. These are from the World War I period.



And this is a World War I Red Cross Nurse. I know the clothing of the day was different then, but I just can't imagine having all that long bothersome clothing when trying to care for patients.



This is a picture of "The Sacred 20", the first twenty nurses appointed by the United States Navy in 1908.


And these are nurses from the United Sates Army Hospital Ship Relief in 1898.


I'm not sure where Jefferson Hospital was or is, but this is a picture of their graduates from 1919.



And this is a page from the University of Maryland School of Nursing from 1946.




The Licensed Practical / Vocational Nurse
1. Shall hold a current license to practice nursing as an LP/VN in accordance with the law of the state wherein employed.
2. Shall know the scope of nursing practice authorizedby the Nursing Practice Act in the state whereinemployed.
3. Shall have a personal commitment to fulfill the legalresponsibilities inherent in good nursing practice.
4. Shall take responsible actions in situations whereinthere is unprofessional conduct by a peer or otherhealth care provider.
5. Shall recognize and have a commitment to meet the ethical and moral obligations of the practice of nursing.
6. Shall not accept or perform professional responsibilities which the individual knows (s)he is not competent to perform.
The Code for Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses
The Code, adopted by NFLPN in 1961 and revised in 1979, provices a motivation for establishing, maintaining and elevating professional standards. Each LP/VN, upon entering the profession, inherits the responsibility to adhere to the standards of ethical practice and conduct as set forth in this Code.
1. Know the scope of maximum utilization of the LP/VNas specified by the nursing practice act and function within this scope.
2. Safeguard the confidential information acquired from any source about the patient.
3. Provide health care to all patients regardless ofrace, creed, cultural background, disease, or lifestyle.
4. Uphold the highest standards in personal appearance,language, dress, and demeanor.
5. Stay informed about issues affecting the practice ofnursing and delivery of health care and, where appropriate, participate in government and policy decisions.eet theethical and moral obligations of the practice of nursing.
6. Accept the responsibility for safe nursing by keeping oneself mentally and physically fit and educationally prepared to practice.
7. Accept responsibility for membership in NFLPN andparticipate in its efforts to maintain the establish-ed standards of nursing practice and employmentpolicies which lead to quality patient care.







1 comment:

Grandma Yonka said...

Thank you or your kind comments. The real "Heros", to me, are the ones who began this profession. They had to overcome so much. We learn everyday--a day I don't learn something new is a failure to me. While there are sometimes bad outcomes, it only takes one good outcome to help understand the entire process. It is amazing when it all comes together. Again thank you, and I hope any future dealings with nursing and medical problems for you are minor.