Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Us

This is a picture of my mother and father on May 21, 1972. My dad was 56 years on on this day. My mother had turned 55 just seven days before. My Mother has since passed away. She has been gone for more than 20 years, but today my Dad is 95 years old. What a legacy. I find him absolutely amazing. He forgets things--but I think a bigger problem is that since he doesn't hear at all, it isn't that he's forgetting things, it's that he never heard you tell him. He tells me he forgets his children's birthdays. That's OK. We remember when our birthdays are. The picture above was taken at my wedding reception. Yep. I got married on my father's birthday. In this picture my father and mother were younger than I am now. Happy birthday Dad.

And this is Mike and me. Were we ever so young? We have been married 37 years today. Mike must think I'm worth keeping around--I got jewelry, roses, a card and he is about to serve me a surf and turf dinner. I feel we have accomplished something that in this day and age is rare--we stayed married. We have not always seen eye to eye, and we don't always agree. But Mike has seen me at my best and worst and accepts me both ways. He doesn't try to make me what I'm not. He knows my faults and is OK with them. He is supportive and all I have to say is "I wish I had. . . " and I'll get it. The people I work with say he treats me like a queen. Funny, my mother used to say the same thing. "Monica, he treats you like you're made of glass and would break if he isn't careful." Well, here's to another 37 years. I mean this in only the best way. I have been married so long I don't remember not being married. Mike is my husband, and my best friend. I also know he would do much better without me than I would do without him. I hope we never have to find out. Happy Anniversary.

No comments: