Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad

We went to see my Dad this past weekend. He will be 94 years old tomorrow. He doesn't hear very well at all, even though he has two hearing aids, but he does well for his age. He lives in St. Joseph of the Pines Assisted Living Center in Southern Pines, North Carolina. He does everything for himself. The nurses at St. Joseph's say they wish all their residents were like him as he is no problem. I am amazed at how well he does. Some may say he is very forgetful, but I don't see that as much as he doesn't hear you when you talk to him. It is very difficult to have a conversation with him and the nurses say when they want to tell him somthing they actually write it down and give it to him. We asked him if he watched the Preakness on Saturday and he said no, but then told us how he used to go to Pimlico when he was a kid and could stand outside the racetrack and watch the race. He said he never went in the track because they could stand outside and watch. He uses a walker, but once he gets to moving there is no stopping him. He goes to church on Sunday morning, but says the priest talks too long--when he was a kid mass used to last 45 minutes, but this priest talks so much it takes an hour! He said when he went to St. Peter's Catholic School the whole school had to go to mass everyday during Advent and Lent. We had lunch with him in the dining room, and he introduced us to many of his friends. We've met most of them before and they all knew who we were. He also told us he was amazed he has lived to be 94, but that since he has lived this long he would like to make it to 100. He just may. He seems to have the determination. He told me he had four sisters and one brother, which is correct. He also said he was glad Christopher was in Alaska getting snow in April and not him. He asked if Victoria was still living in Florida, and when I said she is in California he said she could visit my brother Pat. He also told me someone had told him our house on Carey Street in Baltimore is no longer there, which is correct, that the B & O is gone, which is correct, that the House of Good Shepherds is gone, which is correct, and that 14 Holy Martyrs, where we went when I was little, is now a Baptist Church, again correct. I had some pictures on my camera from last fall when we visited Baltimore, one of which was the door to the house at 20 South Carey Street where he lived as a kid. He said it was a new door, and I'm sure that is true, but he knew right away where it was. I hope we all live to be 94 and do as well as Dad. Happy Birthday Dad!!

1 comment:

The Stein Family said...

Grandpa looks great -- wish I could've beent here to visit as well. I'm glad you guys had a nice visit.